Baghdad Kiosk Dome Ceiling at Topkapi Palace, Istanbul
The Baghdad Pavilion (or Baghdad Kiosk) was built to commemorate the Baghdad Campaign of Sultan Murad IV after 1638. With its tiles dating to the 17th century, mother-of-pearl, tortoise-shell decorated cupboard and window panels, this pavilion is one of the last examples of the classical palace architecture. From the mid-18th century onwards, the building was used as the Library of the Privy Chamber. On a peninsula overlooking both the Bosphorus Strait and the Golden Horn, Topkapi Palace was the primary residence of the Ottoman sultans for approximately 400 years (1465–1856) of their 624-year reign over Constantinople and the Ottoman Empire. Today it is one of Istanbul's primary tourist attractions.
- Baghdad Kiosk Dome Ceiling at Topkapi Palace, Istanbul (0330202092525).tif
- © 2015 David Coleman. All rights reserved.
- Image Size
- 7125x4755 / 79.8MB
- Contained in galleries
- Topkapi Palace: Palace Grounds / Istanbul, Turkey